Collingwood has great warmth and a sense of hospitality that is evident to first-time tourists, as well as repeat visitors and residents.
This community is rich in history and culture and is truly an active lifestyle community with great shopping, dining, hiking and walking trails, golf, skiing, cycling, theatre, art galleries, music and festivals.
In 1855, the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron (later called The Northern) railway came to Collingwood, and the harbour became the shipment point for goods destined for the Upper Great Lake ports of Chicago and Port Arthur-Ft. William, (now Thunder Bay). Shipping produced a need for ship repairs, so it was not long before an organized ship building business was created. On May 24th, 1883, the Collingwood Shipyards, formally known as Collingwood Dry Dock Shipbuilding and Foundry Company Limited, opened with a special ceremony. On September 12, 1901, the Huronic was launched in Collingwood, the first steel-hulled ship launched in Canada. The shipyards produced Lakers and during World War II contributed to the production of Corvettes for the Royal Canadian Navy. Shipbuilding was one of the principal industries in the town, employing as much as 10% of the total labour force. Overseas competition and overcapacity in shipbuilding in Canada led to the demise of shipbuilding in Collingwood in September 1986.
Collingwood was incorporated as a town in 1858, nine years before Confederation and was named after Admiral Lord Cuthbert Collingwood, Lord Nelson’s second in command at the Battle of Trafalgar, who assumed command of the British fleet after Nelson’s death.
Collingwood is extremely proud of its downtown Heritage Conservation District.
Located on the southern shores of Georgian Bay, its waterfront provides endless opportunities for boating, fishing, recreational activities and so much more! With proximity to Blue Mountain, a promontory of the Niagara Escarpment, the town is a major recreation area for the southern part of the province. Blue Mountain itself is noted for skiing, and also for its Scenic Caves. The town is also a short distance from the popular Wasaga Beach Provincial Park, an attractive destination that received the title of Biosphere Reserve in 2004.